[Bf-python] Exppython API docs

Michel Selten michel.s at home.nl
Sun Jun 29 22:02:40 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 05:51, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
> ** Important ** : there are inconsistencies in 2.25 that made us
> duplicate some function names, like .Get and .get for the modules.  I'm
> not documenting the .get() one, only the preferred .Get().  This is of
> course a way to recommend the use of the better interface without
> breaking older scripts.  It won't solve all matters, but will help a
> little bit, and we don't need to show the same thing twice...

Yes, this is a good choice. Maybe now is a good time to create the .get
and .new functions with the message that these will become obsolete in
the future. This shouldn't be hard to do. I've already updated the
Object module with this.

> After working for a while with documentation (argh!), it does seem now
> that the API docs won't fit as general documentation for scripting in
> Blender, but rather as what API refs are: complete references, that more
> advanced users may consider the one and only resource.

Exactly. It should be nothing more and nothing less than an API
description. Maybe in the future the descriptions of each function,
method and variable may become a little bit larger.
Tutorials, manuals and how-to's should be usable for people to learn
writing scripts.

> Ramanan Selvaratnam is right about the need for better integration of
> user-friendly scripting docs and the Blender Manual being written.  For
> the manual, something more like what the 2.0 manual has is the way to
> go.  The API ref will be the best source for doc writers about
> exppython, once finished -- and can even become an appendix of the
> manual.

Precisely!

> Of course, the API ref will also substitute the current 2.25 one at the
> site and become one of the basic Blender docs.

Again: precisely! :)

With regards,
	Michel