[Bf-python] Problems

Jacques Guignot guignot at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 28 04:26:24 CEST 2003

About python integration in blender.

1) A forum has been created by Ton about yafray integration in blender.
There are two interesting projects :
    a) a python project, developped by Manuel Bastioni, not yet
finished, but quite usable now.
Manuel is of course interested in tight python/blender integration, to
let the users make very simply an export to yafray. Moreover, he thinks
his script could be easily extended to other renderers (povray,
Renderman compliant renderers). I really dunno if it is as simple as he
thinks.

    b) a C project, developped by nishin ( Daniel Johnsson ) .This
project is also under development, but is already integrated in tuhopuu.
The author thinks too his project will be easily extended to other
renderers (I don't think so). It is very well coded, and should be
fairly easy to maintain/extend. I think that there are soooooooo many
parameters in renderers that the interface is going to be very
obfuscated (nishin does not think so)

In this forum, I tried to be kinda moderator, asking both developpers to
carefully examine the pros and the cons of each solution, but each one
is really convinced that his solution is the best.

I think they will both continue their development.

The integration of nishin's solution in blender will probably be
discussed in the future.
(If nishin is able to build a complete and moderately complicated
interface, and is able to export towards other renderers, his solution
would be  interesting. I  doubt it is possible)

2) blender/python integration.
In a close future, blender could be shipped with some handy, resonably
tested python scripts, and these scripts should be ***very*** easy to
launch.

I propose this solution : (many ideas are borrowed to IanWill)
    a) create a directory where these scripts should be placed, allowing
blender to explore this directory.
    b) add an entry "python" in the menu. (see screenshot)
This entry will propose
       1) the files in the a) directory
       2) "OTHER"

If the user selects a file, this file is automatically launched. (in the
example : Voute.py and coquillage.py)
if the user selects "OTHER", a file selector window is proposed, and the
selected file is launched.

Where is the script launched?
I choosed to launch it in the biggest script window (if any). If no
script windows exists, an error message is issued. This can be changed.

Launching several scripts should be possible. Not implemented yet. Two
buttons should be added in the script window : "next" and "previous".
btw, who knows how to add icons to blender. Accessing existing
icons/buttons is easy, but I would like to create a new icon...

Persistent variables : may be important. For instance, when launching a
renderer, users may want to keep the values of the parameters.
It would be fairly easy to give access to a global array of some
hundredths bytes (should be enough). Specially crafted scripts could
access this variable, whose value should be saved by blender, allowing
the script to retreive values between two different sessions. Not
implemented yet.
The problem is that if an user launches AAA script, closes blender, then
launches BBB script, the BBB script will have strange values... But it
is under the user's responsability. If he is warned, it is HIS problem,
not our!

hmmm... Time to slee..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........