[Bf-python] libpng conflict between wxPython and Blender

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 17:01:16 CEST 2003

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but according
to a spe user (see feedback below) wxPython seems to
conflict with the Linux Blender version.  As this is
out of my reach, could someone please check this?!  If
it is true,  this conflict makes it unfortunately
impossible to run spe (or any other wxPython
application) from Blender.  How can we solve this
problem?

Thanks,
Stani

This was the feedback from a Linux user:
spe running from within blender 1:
It runs fine with blender I compiled myself however
the official binary from blender3d.com breaks with a
couple of errors. After doing some tests I found out
that it's a problem with incompatible versions of
libpng, i.e. 1.0.x vs. 1.2.x. It is/was actually not
just a
problem of spe/blender but one I had already many
months ago with other apps (but those vanished over
time). It seems that blender is compiled with 1.0.x
but (I think) most users have the newer version now.
There
are two reasons why I could not start spe from within
blender:
1. spe uses png images (wx is compiled with libpng
1.2.x).
2. I use a gtk2 theme engine that uses png images
(compiled with libpng
1.2.x).
After changing the theme to standard and changing all
the png stuff in
spe to e.g. tiff I could start it.