[Bf-modeling] Sculpt improvements

Alberto Velázquez alberto3d.1984 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 21:23:40 CEST 2017

Hi

I'm Alberto Velázquez, an artist since 15 years ago and blender users since
six years. I have worked making video games and you can see some of my work
in my artstation webpage. After the really good results of Custom Normals
modifier and Bevel shader proposals I wish to make a proposal for the
sculpting system in Blender and that developers solve me some questions and
told me the best way to proceed if it's possible.

My intention is to propose some improvements in the multires modifier and
Sculpting workflow (few improvements in the interface) to convert the
actual multires modifier in a tool that will give answer to all sculpting
projects. The changes needed for this thing are no so much, but probably
the work is really complex. The idea is to make blender a really
competitive tool in front of Zbrush for all situations with the few
improvements and not depend of Zbrush like actually.

The changes needed are, basically (in this order)

- Multilayer system for multires modifier with multiplier of each layer
- New brush select menu with shortcut
- Improvements in mask workflow (sharp mask, use mask with a key modifier,
use edit poly selected faces,...)
- Move, rotate and scale tools in sculpting.

And for secondary targets

- Claypolish tool (a tool that make this in all the object with a click,
not the brush)
- Implement "Instant Meshes" inside blender or a bridge with app.
- Implement silhouette tool

If we see the reality is that actual Blender Sculpting system is really
powerfull. You can work with millions of polygons, you have all the brushes
options really needed... but have a few limitations that make hard to work
with it, limitations in the workflow, not in the system. I think that could
be really great to remove this limitations. Actually Blender is prepared
for dyntopo workflow, but it is not a good way to work and it is not the
workflow that uses the vast mayority of industry.

The problem, I'm not a developer and of course I cannot pay a full time
developer. Also

- I don't know how many time could be needed for the primary targets
- I don't know if the targets are realistic.
- I don't know a developer interested or people with enough experience for
this.
- I preffer to have some recomendations in the way to proceed to obtain
this feature (some interested developer now? do we need a crowfunding?
preffer the BF to make this,...)
- A compromise of developers to implement the feature in master if is
completed (I don't want to try this to make a branch that will be forgot).

If somebody want to talk about this proposal, comment some point or the
full proposal, discuss something, or maybe he has interest... I can make a
more complete and detailed proposal because it's a first message.

I don't know if it is the best way to talk about it but after try the IRC I
have decided this mail list because it worked with bevel shader proposal.
I'm really interested in this, and I think that more people also want it.
It is a really important point to make Blender a great tool for modelers.

charm regards