[Bf-modeling] Opinions about two new possible Blender primitives?

brasshat at core.com brasshat at core.com
Tue Jan 12 05:33:23 CET 2016

Friends,

First, I know it's a little late, but I don't think
I've wished any of you "Happy New Year" before this, so let me
do so now.

In my own work, I have two related items that I
have found sufficiently useful that I have saved them to my own
"library" of primitives, but I have come to think that they
might be sufficiently useful to others to propose that they be added to
the official set of primitives in the Blender UI.  The objects are
shown in this screenshot:

<http://my.core.com/B9/E2/mjolnir/photos/Trainz/hex_primitives.jpg>

The first item is a hexagonal grid plane, differing from the
existing grid primitive in that two  trapezoids joined along the
longest common edge forms a hexagon. Among the instances where I find
particular utility for this starting point are when working on terrain. In
some instances I feel the terrain is more convincing when the genesis is a
hexagon instead of a quadrilateral.

The other item is related:
a hexagonal grid cylinder. The difference between this and a cylinder
primitive with some added number of loop cuts is that again, two
trapezoids joined along at the longest common edge forms a hexagon.
I have personally been more satisfied with the tree trunks I have
generated starting from the hexagonal tessellated cylinder, than from a
quadrangle tessellated one.

So, I'm soliciting opinions as to
whether these might be valuable enough to propose as additional
primitives, or whether it's better to retain these in my personal hoard,
sharing them (blend file available upon request) with only a few of my
closer friends?

Noel Stoutenburg