[Bf-modeling] inset options

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:49:38 CEST 2015

Offline chat with Campbell has convinced me that the current options have
utility. To record here:

- offset_even can produce long internal 'spikes' from reflex vertices, so
for, say, organic models the annoyance of those spikes is greater than the
annoyance of not having an even thickness inset; hence the desire to be
able to turn off offset_even sometimes
- with large regions or polygons that have fine details (bumps, serifs,
etc.) along their outline, using offset_relative can sometimes avoid help
self intersections in those fine detail areas while allowing larger insets
along the long edges; so offset_relative can be useful in more than just
the case of insetting many independent faces of differing scales
- as many have said, the boundary option has a number of uses

There's still some argument that the factor multiplied by for
offset_relative should be normalized somehow, so that the largest thickness
has factor 1; but nobody is complaining about this right now.

So I will leave the options as is.

But it remains the case that to implement the functionality I want  --
handling self collisions, a la straight skeletons (see
http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~jeffe/pubs/pdf/cycles.pdf) -- is a lot harder
if not offset_even and/or if offset_relative is on, so I will, at least for
now, not implement this functionality in those cases.

- Howard