[Bf-modeling] bevel new face material

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:15:48 CEST 2014

I was working on this bug (really a feature request):
https://developer.blender.org/T34664

I'm wondering: what is the best way to let the user specify the material?

The solidify and wireframe modifiers use slider for "material index
offset", and use it to add to the mat_nr (slot number) of the nearby face
to get the material for the new face.

I'm not quite getting the utility of specifying this as an offset. Why not
just an absolute slot number? With -1 meaning: use the current bevel
behavior of trying to assign the material from the nearest face (which is
sometimes ambiguous: some newly created faces are equidistant from original
faces)?

I suppose ideal would be to have a better UI element to choose material,
but for the python binding I guess the parameter should be the integer slot
# or slot offset?