[Bf-modeling] A question on deform vs non-deform modifiers

Patrice Gmail patrice.bertrand.eu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 23:52:32 CET 2014

Hello,

I am working on a modifier that adds noise (random translation and
rotation) to a mesh.   It has 3 modes or 'scope' of noise.

In SCOPE_VERTEX, each vertex is individually translated by a random
vector, the maximum amplitude being configurable.

In SCOPE_WHOLEMESH, the mesh is translated and rotated as a whole
without any deformation.

In SCOPE_LOOSEPARTS, each loose part is translated and rotated
individually.

I have implemented the first 2 modes easily, using a Deform Modifier
function.

The loose parts mode is more difficult.   Although ultimately all I aim
to do is a deformation, I do need to use the BMesh data to iterate using
BMW_CONNECTED_VERTEX. I can thus walk through each loose part.   But
deformVerts is supposed to just modify the vertices' coordinates given
in float(*vertexCos)[3].

So my question is:   is there a way to somehow relate the vertexCos to
the BMVerts that I'll walk through ?

Then again, maybe I should give up using a deform modifier, and go for a
Non-deform Modifier, which is more powerful.

Any expert help welcome.   Many thanks.