[Bf-modeling] Proposal to change loopcut behavior (selecting edge & initial % at same time)

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 15 06:19:04 CEST 2014

I made a script a few years ago to do something similar to this :)
http://www.metalliandy.com/downloads/scripts/fastloop_016.py

The main issue I see with this is that there is a need to be precise and
I use the default behaviour more than I would the modified behaviour.
It's still a very useful too though so I'm not complaining that you want
to add it :)

Perhaps it would be best to keep the current defaults and have the new
functionality assigned to a hot key along with some sort of feature that
detects the curvature of the surface that you are adding the loop to so
that it doesn't break CC subd? The current ALT smooth isnt automatic so
is hard to get perfect results.

Something like this would work I think.

 1. CTRL+R enters loopcut/slide as normal
 2. When in loopcut mode hitting CTRL would toggle the cut edge to be
    moved to the mouse pointer
 3. Holding shift would add the cut based on surface curvature

See swift loop
docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-57E3DDC9-50D2-4467-93E9-B1B103CEA30D.htm,topicNumber=d30e140493

Also if you fancy adding something really useful to Loopcut something
like the pinch command in Max would be amazing.
docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-57E3DDC9-50D2-4467-93E9-B1B103CEA30D.htm,topicNumber=d30e140493

Cheers,

-Andy