[Bf-modeling] Hidden Wire Improvements

Jonathan Williamson jonathan at cgcookie.com
Tue Oct 8 18:04:13 CEST 2013

Now that trunk is open again I've got a couple improvements I'd love to see
for Hidden Wire. This comes from my own experience working with it and from
user feedback.

*Support Wireframe Mode*
Currently hidden wire only works in shaded mode. But this seems a bit
backwards as hidden wire effectively is a wireframe draw mode, as it
removes all face drawing (as it should).

My proposal is to support hidden wire in both wireframe and solid mode.
Wireframe support is needed for clean mesh drawing in the viewport. Solid
support is needed while retopo'ing a highresolution mesh, and most all
retopo is done in solid mode.
*
*
*
*
*Support Multiple Objects*
One great benefit to hidden wire is the much cleaner display in the
viewport. It would be very beneficial to extend this to multiple objects
for a very clean display.

Even with only a few objects the benefits are instantly clear. This is so
messy: http://cl.ly/Rquv

I think hidden wire should be a scene-wide option, affecting all objects
within the scene.
*
*
*
*
*Support Object Mode*
Currently hidden wire only works in Edit Mode. As the above points touch
on, adding Object Mode support would be great for making a very clean
viewport. It also improves drawing consistency so the user isn't confused
why the drawing mode keeps changing.

Jonathan Williamson
http://cgcookie.com