[Bf-modeling] flipping direction for new faces

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 20:28:26 CEST 2013

Ok, this seems to follow the principle of least astonishment,

Pointing towards the user is more useful because you don't always have
an order (lasso / border select for eg),
so while we could support both (use order if its available), this
probably confuses users more then it helps.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Michael Williamson
<michaelw at cowtoolsmedia.co.uk> wrote:
> I agree.. towards the user makes a lot of sense..
>
> i used to use lightwave that was very picky about winding order..  blender
> spoils us! would be good to continue the good work.
>

> On 25/06/2013 18:37, Jonathan Williamson wrote:
>
> In the cases where no connected geometry exists, I think it would be optimal
> to point the normal towards the user. In most case modelers work on the
> 'outside' of the model. This is not always true, but for the majority of
> cases it is and so using the user as the determining direction should work
> well.
>
> Jonathan Williamson
> http://cgcookie.c
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Recently on blender.stackexchange a user asked about the flipping
>> direction for newly created faces,
>>
>> Currently face creation will check the direction of connected faces
>> and use this as a bases, normally this is `good enough`, but in the
>> case that there is no connected geometry you may as well flip a coin.
>>
>> I realize this isn't such high priority but we may as well not give a
>> random result to users.
>>
>> There were 2 suggestions for now to choose when no connected geometry is
>> found.
>> - Create faces using the order the winding order that the
>> vertices/edges are selected.
>> - Create faces pointing towards the user.
>>
>> Any opinions on which is best? (or other ways to choose).
>>
>> In case you want to read the original question;
>>
>> http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1020/how-is-the-normal-direction-determined-when-i-use-make-edge-face
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell