[Bf-modeling] Improving the Vert Connect Tool

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:46:34 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Howard Trickey <howard.trickey at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Jonathan Williamson <
> jonathan at cgcookie.com> wrote:
>
>> Howard,
>>
>> It is similar to the knife tool, and so in part yes. That's what I'm
>> asking for. But I still see them as separate tools. The knife tool is
>> perfect for working out complex topology over an existing surface, where as
>> the Vertex Connect tool is best for quickly connecting two points in a
>> straight line.
>>

> Jonathan, I'm just saying that under the hood, I think you're asking for
> exactly what the knife tool does if you hit k, snap to one vert, click,
> then snap to the other point, click, then return to execute.  If that is
> what you are asking, then 'j' or some other shortcut could be configured to
> do all that with one keypress if two verts are selected.  Do you need this
> to work when more than two verts are selected, as the current j does,
> perhaps choosing shortest paths when they have to cross more than one face?

Though, thinking about it more, the current knife code has some visibility
tests (you have to draw a cutting line that can 'see' the two verts you
want connected), and with some geometries it may impossible to find such a
line.  So I can see the case for programming this as a separate, special
case of 'j'.