[Bf-modeling] Mesh Cleanup Tools

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 03:38:07 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Jonathan Williamson
<jonathan at cgcookie.com> wrote:
> Those look good Campbell.
>
> Is the Fill Holes similar to a Grid Frill/Cap tool?

not sure, it would only fill in empty areas based on very simple
rules. (which we can make up - some example models that need this
would be handy).

I was checking and the existing `Make Face/Edge` tool already does
this quite well. - If you remove a few random faces from Suzzane,
select all, and press Fkey.
It fills in the random faces but not the eyes (which is the kind of
thing I would expect fill holes to do)...  Well, maybe you want to
fill in the eyes  too - they are holes.
So some extra control would be useful here.

Alternately we could make it so Fkey can optionally copy attributes
from surrounding geometry.
Personally I found this the most annoying thing when filling in
geometry (adding back uvs and vertex colors), filling in the hole on
its own is pretty quick.

But I worry Fkey is getting overloaded with too much mixed-up
functionality already - so having a fill holes tool is better IMHO.