[Bf-modeling] Mesh Cleanup Tools

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 4 13:22:04 CEST 2013

Sounds like a plan. :)

> On bf-python a developer posted an addon called `Planerize`  which
> makes faces flat. (*)

I think this addon looks very promising but it seems a little awkward
using the 3d cursor in some of the steps. It's a good tool nonetheless
and would be very useful for ensuring hard surface objects retain their
flatness after tweaking.

> The issue with tools like this are that on their own they're quite
> obscure and don't fit well in the context of general purpose modeling
> tools (IMHO).
> So I was thinking we could collect tools that we can add to a `Mesh ->
> Cleanup` menu since you don't often use these tools for making your
> own models, they are more for fixing up imported geometry.
I have to disagree, Campbell. IMHO, These are exactly the tools that
Blender needs to make the modelling really first rate and should be
front and center.
These sort of tools are essential for hard surface modelling and though
they would be really useful for cleaning models that have been imported
from CAD etc., I don't think that they are limited to that kind of use.
Hiding them away in Mesh> Cleanup might stop people finding the tool and
using it to its full potential. I would prefer if this were kept in the
specials menu because it seems like the go to place for these kind of tools.

> If any of you had jobs where you had to work with models from CAD
> applications or just badly made meshes you probably had to do some of
> this manually, so interested to get some list of useful cleanup tools
> to include in next release.
>
> Any suggestions?
I will take a look around for some more examples but a 'fill holes with
quads' would be useful. So basically what would happen is that all the
tool would find all the holes in a mesh and fill it with quads as best
it can.

Cheers,

-Andy