[Bf-marketing] Corporate Identity (partnerships)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jan 5 14:10:19 CET 2006

Hi,

Just to clarify this partnership issue a bit; at this moment there's
'partnerships' with Montevideo (movie project), NoStarch Press (book
distribution), and with the Uni-Verse consortium.
Such partnerships I treat very seriously, and demand a significant
portion of my time. :)

What you probably discuss here won't be as far stretching as this...
but looks more like what I usually call the "Blender Network", which
could be called 'partnership programme' too, aimed at facilitating
third parties to get into business with Blender.

What we can do for professionals is;

- good coverage of their offering on our website (like the current
professionals section)

- a listing of all opportunities with Blender we know, which can range
from book publishing (could be partnering with BF), training services
(we have a bf-education board for that), to tips & ideas for setting up
own development/art services.

- a public market place where developers/artists can offer services or
companies can put up calls for contributions. This was discussed on the
conference too, we need a way to verify validity of offerings. A
gallery/voting system I don't like a lot, that's too easy to abuse.
Three ideas to ensure quality of this market place are:
1) Get a small active moderators board who review personally each
submission
2) Demand submissions to have at least a public website that clearly
describes the business (including personal data, contact address,
evidence of past work).
3) Make a long and detailed form online for submissions, to prevent
idiots to fill it in, and to illustrate to the submitters we're very
serious. (Check for example how to submit a partnership with IBM, Sun,
SGI, etc).

- A closed forum, only accessible for partnership members to discuss
issues

- I think we shouldn't ask for a membership fee (IBM/Sun/SGI/etc don't
do it either). If "Blender Network" partners like to know who's really
good for their services, they can send a private mail to the
moderators, and that can be replied fair & straightforward based on
their information. When the network grows out of simple control, this
can be reviewed of course. :)

-Ton-