[Bf-linux] Precompiled linux versions

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Tue Jun 16 15:47:05 CEST 2009

Yann Renard wrote:
> So my two questions are :
> 1- why did you chose 2.3.6 over any other glibc version ?
> 2- how do you build blender among this exact version ? do you use a
> speicific linux distro ? do you compile this glibc localy on recent
> distros ?
> 3- what about libstdc++ ?

Hi, Yann:

I inherited the linux build process from DJ Capelis, so if I'm leaving
out something maybe he can help clarify.

1 and 2- We use 2.3.6 because we do our build with Debian 4.0 ("etch"),
and we used debian because it tended to trail the other distributions.
Being the least cutting-edge, it used older versions of most libraries
and so offered better chances of working with older linux installations
from any distro.  However, now that Debian 5.0 ("lenny") is out, we'll
probably in the future switch to using it, meaning we'll be using glibc
2.7.1.
3 - Use the scons configuration flags:
  WITH_BF_STATICCXX=True
  BF_CXX_LIB_STATIC='<path to your libstdc++.a>'
  and also include '-static-libgcc' in your linkage flags.  For make,
include the equivalent hooks to use the static libstdc++.a
Scons has a number of WITH_BF_STATIC* settings and most libraries are
linked statically to avoid additional compatibility problems.

Ken