[Bf-linux] Precompiled linux versions

Tue Jun 16 14:46:08 CEST 2009

Hello list,

I am new to this list and I come here because of some discussions I had
on #blendercompilers and #blendercoders about precompiled Linux version.
People there told me I should ask to "ken hughes" about my problem.

Right, first of all, I have to introduce myself a bit. I am not a
Blender developer nor a Blender user. I occasionally used Blender in the
past but no more than 20-30 hours so consider I don't know much about
it. But I used 3DSMax a lot so this is why I know Blender and I got
interested enough to see how good the software is, leading me to take it
as an example. Additionnaly, I am currently working on a Brain Computer
Interface software (http://openvibe.inria.fr) which goal is to control a
computer or machine thanks to brainwaves. Now, gota stop telling you my
life, I move on to the problem.

We are at the point where we are interested in giving people precompiled
binaries of our software. Windows packages were pretty easy to build,
but I have problems with Linux building relocatable binaries. The first
problem I got was to have a fixed path to access the software, even if
the user decompresses the archive in his homedir. This has been solved
with script wrappers. These scripts create symlinks in /tmp just before
launching the software. I consider assuming /tmp is accessible with
write access is quite reasonable. I don't know how you guys do with
Blender. The second problem I got (and this is why I contact you), is
the glibc that I should link with my software. I compiled my whole
software on Ubuntu 9.04 and when I moved it to Fedora Core 5, it
complained about a bad glibc version. Now in the case of Blender, the
download website states that glibc 2.3.6 is required. I suppose that
compiling the software among this old version of glibc guarantees that
the binary will be relocatable on most if not all of the curent linux
distros. This is what I want.

So my two questions are :
1- why did you chose 2.3.6 over any other glibc version ?
2- how do you build blender among this exact version ? do you use a
speicific linux distro ? do you compile this glibc localy on recent
distros ?
3- what about libstdc++ ?

I hope my life was not too boring for you...
Many thanks in advance for the help you'll provide.
Best regards,
Yann Renard