[Bf-interface] Revising the video output interface

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 23:14:05 CEST 2014

Huge apology if this double or triple posts. Email aliases... Urf.

On Sep 3, 2014 12:56 PM, "Sam Brubaker" <sam at worldsday.org> wrote:

> The preset menu offered may be more advanced than necessary, but I wanted
to show what might be possible instead of the current solution.

The current solution is a far cry from a designed solution, and ended up
the way it has due to evolutionary reasons.

I would hazard a guess that 98% of the interface can be scrapped in this
regard, and perhaps a more optimized pattern implemented. But this cuts
deeper to _designing_ a solution, as opposed to reshuffling the cards in
the deck.

Part of the issue is the number of codecs supported. None are supported
well enough to make the complexity of the implementation warranted. Many of
the presets (DV I am looking at you for example) are so many generations
displaced as to make the inclusion almost baffling.

To this end, it might be worthwhile to discuss the merits of a reduction of
codecs supported with the Blender Institute's audience of smaller studios
in mind. This would have a tremendous lift of weight on developer resources
and bring more robust support for fewer, industrial-driven codecs. In
particular, DNxHD and ProRes options come inherently bound, with less
variables to account for in the UI. x264 for dailies would likely pose the
greatest complexity with regard to UI.

BINAE (Blender Is Not An Encoder), and the design decisions should likely
consider this facet as well as the audience goal.

With respect,
TJS