[Bf-gamedev] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender - file formats comparison of USD and glTF

Timur Ariman timur_ariman at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 10 15:07:09 CET 2016

Adding new formats to replace the problematic old ones is a good idea for the long run.

The concerns of metallandy are spot on! Please if possible keep maintaining FBX as long as necessary

since that is for now the only bridge we as game artists have.

regarding USD
- has abilities to move data from Maya/Modo/Mari/Mudbox/Photshop  to Houdini/Maya/Katana/Prman/Nuke

- builds on same concepts as, and integrates with, Alembic
- Scenes can be live,editable throughout the pipeline
- can be used as wrapper for alembic, obj,caf,slo

- direct file I/O for Maya given from Pixar
- no rigging I/O available and no specifications available
- only pointcache support for animations.

regarding glTF

- supports keyframe animations and skinning
- Adobe wants to use it too...
- at first sounds promising but regarding 3D programs
Autodesk only works on fbx/collada to glTF converters

and not on a real Import/epxorter for glTF.
For now this format will be an island solution since Autodesk doesn´t have it in their pipeline yet.

After or if possible during integration of the fileformat into Blender,
adding big game engine developers for implementing the same interchange format

should be a given!

Cheers,Timur