[Bf-gamedev] Directional lightmaps and light probes

Marc Dion marcdion1974 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 02:25:31 CET 2015

David:

The Glossy Shader applied to a sphere captures the surrounding environment
easily enough when baked.   Not sure what the best approach is for handling
the UV Coordinates.
Here's the results for the simple setup I tried.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/85179

Here are some links for rendering Skyboxes using Blender.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?345252-Rendering-baking-environmental-map-%28cubemap-skybox%29-in-Blender-2-7x-how

http://25x8.blogspot.ca/2013/04/rendering-skybox-for-unity-using-blender.html

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?241187-Rendering-a-cubemap-skybox

If I remember correctly, Photoshop Elements has a tool for converting
between Equirectangular and Spherical coordinates.

There is also a link here for setting up Mercator Projection UV's on
Blender Stack Exchange

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/3315/how-to-get-perfect-uv-sphere-mercator-projection

Encoding additional information in normal maps sounds nicely obscure :) ,
anyways,  the following thread shows how to setup up nodes for baking
Tangent maps with bump mapping and maybe this can be used as a starting
point for what you want to do since you should be able to bias the normals
towards any direction you choose by using the Mapping node to transform
vectors.   Shift+a -> Vector -> Mapping

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?348799-Baking-Cycles-Procedural-Normals-to-Texture

It looks like the map is in linear space, maybe it would look right for
games after being Gamma corrected.

The chairman of BF can usually be found on irc.freenode.net #blendercoders
every Sunday morning for the weekly meetings about 7:00am-ish North
American Pacific Time.  After the meeting he usually hangs around to chat
with people for a while.
He's friendly and likes to talk so you might consider speaking directly to
him.  His username there is 'Kaito'