[Bf-gamedev] Using blender timeline features

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Sat Jun 13 12:19:07 CEST 2015

Hi Owen,

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 12:28:01PM +0800, Owen Alanzo Hogarth wrote:
> I was looking at blender as a 2d animation editor

Blender and the Blender Game Engine are intrinsincly a 3D engine.
However, nothing is stopping you from only using flat geometry. You
can also employ an orthographic camera if you want.

> something in the vein of spriter or spine. I looked at those two
> software but they both have issues

Without knowing those programs, and without knowing the issues you
have with them, I can't comment on this.

> With that being said, when you create animations, say bone armatures
> for 2d sprites and animate them, I would like instead of exporting a
> series of sprite frames, instead export some data, that could be
> used in any game engine to then play back those animations real time
> just like the way they are in blender.

Your question is so generic that it's hard to answer. Exporting to
"any game engine" might be difficult. Why not use the Blender Game
Engine itself? Exporting rendered images to use as sprites in a
different game engine is also possible of course.

Best,
--
Sybren A. Stüvel

http://stuvelfoto.nl/