[Bf-gamedev] Fly Mode in game engine

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:00:30 CET 2015

Hi,
We already have a Mouse Actuator, I wouldn't oppose we expanding it to
support flying (doesn't it already? I confess that I have never tried
the Actuator).

> My difficulty is that I don't have the skills to dig into the Blender source and extract the Fly (...)

Well, let's see if someone bites your bait ;) That is a fun project to
do, so you get lucky and get someone jumping in to help.

> As Fly Mode has already been coded, I wondered whether it could be ported to the game engine and made a standard thing.

The navigation code in Blender is very self-contained, so anyone
interested shouldn't have a hard time going through it.

In fact the 'new' navigation code in Blender (the fly/walk modes) are
based off almost entirely in a Python script I wrote a few years ago.
If anyone interesting on implementing this feature wants more
reference, the file is part of this zip file:

http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/1435456629/companionfiles/Chapter7.zip

Though the C code alone should be straightforward.

Cheers,
Dalai
--
blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto