[Bf-gamedev] Cycles baking workflow

François Roussel F-R at F-R.tel
Sun May 11 12:26:41 CEST 2014

Hello Dalai!
Thanks for your video on how to use the baking functionality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1hrN3z_7M&feature=youtu.be&a

So now I must admit that the current workflow really makes sense, in that it’s consistent and fits with other blender’s rendering and image manipulation workflows, and it gets the job done, somehow.

The problem is that those workflows are very bad.

What got me troubles to make baking works properly was the fact that you need to use an input node as an output node. As a long time Shake user I would have never been able to figure by myself that an image texture node (that I use to IMPORT image files), connected to nothing, would serve to OUTPUT an image!?

Compared to Shake (which is my favorite software of all times), the blender’s node editor is extremely confusing and makes simple things very complicated.

In your videos, we can see you being confused a few times as you don’t get what you expect, and you are the developer of the features. Now imagine a user new to blender trying to get his way into this!

So now I understand the choices that were made just before merging the bake features into master. It totally makes sense to keep a coherent workflow but the underlying problem is that the workflow itself is incoherent.
I think that the blender usability issues raised by Andrew Price needs to be taken care of. But this is going off this topic.

What to choose next? :
- The bake functionality stays in the current workflow, and no one will understand it.
- The bake functionality does the rebel and stays out of this mess with it’s own workflow.
- Rebuild the node editing features so it can unleash it’s huge potential. If the node editor was working properly, and used in other areas of the software, Blender could be king of the world.

Thanks.
Best regards,
François Roussel