[Bf-gamedev] Cycles Baking Development

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:27:52 CET 2014

Awesome work, Dalai.

I have spoken to you about this on IM but I figured it would be good to
get this on the list too, so please forgive any overlap between the list
and our conversations. :)

 1. Any ideas when we are going to get to see the cages? This shouldn't
    ship with Blender until we can see how far the cages are extruding.
    The cage feature should definetly be a modifier as it allows the
    flexibility to modify the cage and other gui such as picking the
    colours of the cage with perhaps some sliders for offsetting
    everything easily.
 2. AA is very important, but not as important as being able to view the
    cage in real time. A good default for AA would be 4xAA. Anything
    more isnt worth the extra rendering time and anything less doesnt
    match up well enough in terms of quality.
 3. The Custom cage title is not correct. Custom cages are when the user
    has modified the topology of the cage by moving verts/topology and
    meshes under this slot do not need to have modified verts/topology
    in order to work. They could use a regular mesh or have one imported
    from another application so just calling it Cage mesh or Cage object
    would be perfect. Calling it cage mesh goes against convention for
    all other 3d applications so it's just going to cause confusion.
 4. Tangent space should be default for normal maps. I would even think
    about removing the option to bake world space as no one uses them
    ever in production as they are the least flexible of all normal maps.
 5. X+Y+Z+ should be default and is what is being baked currently by
    default even though the GUI says X-Y-Z- (for TS nmaps at least. IIRC
    OS and WS bake an odd order that doesnt match any convention.
    Something like X+Z-Y+ of the top of my head.)

Cheers,

-Andy