[Bf-gamedev] FBX Exporter to UE4 and Root Motion

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 7 19:46:26 CEST 2014

Hi Lina,

Yes, I think this could help.

Indeed, in our WIP FBX branch, I just added support to import FBX bones
hierarchy when they do not have a root 'Null' model. This is still
rather experimental (and not easy/nice in code, since we have to create
two different things out of a single FBX node), but it seems to work
from a few basic tests, needs more though.

However, issue with not importing at all Null node would be that, since
it has all Blender's armature transform/object-level-anim, this would be
lost in UE4. Don't you support at all parenting of bones' hierarchy?

(I realize ways how armatures/skeletons are handled differ quite
drastically between applications, which makes their exchange especially
complex :/ ).

Bastien