[Bf-gamedev] FBX Exporter to UE4 and Root Motion

Lina Halper Lina.Halper at epicgames.com
Mon Jul 7 19:37:11 CEST 2014

Hello,

>> Note that armature is **not** added as an additional root bone, though, but as an 'empty' (Null FBX Model type), which implies usual object-parenting relationship. Unity seems to support this rather nicely, while UE4 fails at it.

We import empty node as a bone, but I think we can support that as an option, would that help this case?
We have an option of “bImportMeshesInBoneHierarchy”, which specifies if you’d like to import mesh as a part of bone hierarchy, but along with that, we can have an option to “bImportNullNodeInBoneHierarchy”. If you have it off, we won’t import null node.

However, exporting would be problem if we do. Since we don’t have that info, it won’t export, but I suppose Blender will create Amateur if it doesn’t exist on root?

Thanks,

--Lina,