[Bf-gamedev] [Bf-committers] game engine scenegraph: design, review and questions

Alex Fraser alex at phatcore.com
Tue Aug 5 14:20:37 CEST 2014

Hi Ines,

On 23 July 2014 09:00, brita <britalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4) Slowparents
> I think it makes more sense to have an object parented to another according
> to whether it makes sense or not for the object to be in the other's
> transform space (following it's scale, orientation..). [...]

I totally agree.

> Slow parenting is currently calculated in the scene graph as a slerp.

Are you sure it's a slerp? From memory, it didn't work well for
rotations (the "child" object would get scaled and skewed during
rotation). For my game I used a couple of small Python functions to
slow-copy the location and rotation [1]. There are also a couple of
functions that let you use it easily from logic bricks [2].

> What I am proposing here is 1) move slow parent out of the scene graph 2)
> implement a new controller that reproduces this functionality and more
> Does this make sense? Is it a good idea? Does it have enough priority?

I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure if it would be high priority,
but it would certainly be more useful that the current behaviour of
slow parenting.

Cheers,
Alex

[1] https://github.com/oasakfu/bat/blob/1baeb362071461c5db7f94f031f4311cf2afbfd9/bmath.py#L248