[Bf-gamedev] Lua

Tom Edwards contact at steamreview.org
Thu Sep 26 18:25:04 CEST 2013

Mono/CLR is the right choice for game development. It's a memory-managed
environment which performs better than scripts, can be strongly-typed or
loosely-typed depending on language chosen, and has a cross-platform IDE
plus debugger ready to go (on Windows you can use Visual Studio!).

It's easy to use CLR or native libraries; compiling your own CLR code is
really fast; the runtime provides tonnes of useful built-in classes; it
has the concept of code security and sandboxing running all the way
through; and any transition would be smoothed considerably by IronPython.

Coming at this from the other angle, I've never understood the appeal of
loosely-typed languages for complicated projects like games. They are
nice for small, simple tasks but become a nightmare to work with as a
codebase grows. I maintain a Blender add-on with nearly 200KB of code
and my life would be much improved if I could use C# instead of Python.