[Bf-gamedev] Texture Baking Maps - Proposal

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:01:24 CET 2013

Hi Andy,

Keep in mind that the proposal was drafted to make it simple to re-bake the
same maps for the same (or different) object(s). So before getting to the
specifics it would be nice to see a 'show of hands' on whether this would
bring benefits.

Now for the specifics:

> Having the per object presets for baking isnt really needed as you would
generally want all the maps to have exactly the same settings for margin,
AA and use the same cages etc.

If people don't need that control per-object, then sure. It would make
things simpler. The advantage of having this per-map is that you can easily
create multiple maps for the same type (e.g., Normal) and compare

> The workflow I would expect is that the user selects objects as they do
now (HP then LP), select the maps they want to bake, the size of the maps
etc. and then hit bake with the only difference to now is that they have
multiple maps selected which Blender would automatically create with the
appropriate suffixes.

* Do you always use the same UV Map for all the maps you are baking?

* Your propose implies that all the maps are exported externally, which may
not fit so well in Blender design in my opinion. Ideally you want to bake
the maps and preview if they look good in Blender. That's why we propose to
select an Image Datablock for each map.

Cheers,
Dalai