[Bf-gamedev] UI; Improvements and Customization

Aubrey Serr aubrey at wolfire.com
Fri Oct 4 17:58:24 CEST 2013

Hey Colin, thanks for bringing this issue up!

I'm Aubrey Serr, production game artist for 10 years, co-designer of the
Overgrowth 3D level editor, co-owner Wolfire Games

I only mention all of that because I have found the blender community
extremely dismissive of any UI suggestions (I got "silenced" in blender IRC
for suggesting the delete key should delete the selected sub-object rather
than bring up a menu).

I have had these exact same concerns since we have been using blender in
our production workflow for years and our game is highly modable, it would
be nice to be able to fully recommend it to people, but I also find the UI
to be hostile to new users.

I agree with the blender guru videos. My primary concern is how LMB and RMB
are mapped on the mouse, and how there are so hidden shortcut keys that
bring up menus -- the worst of both worlds. It would be cool if the
different editing modes used more industry standard toolbars.

I understand that there are a few other artists out there using blender to
create professional quality work, and so my opinion is just one of many,
but hopefully it counts for something!

-Aubrey