[Bf-funboard] Local View Coordinates = Local Coordinates of active object

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 04:39:06 CEST 2015

User-coordinate-system would be nice to have.

But this feature would be good to have outside of Local-View too.

If we have UCS I can imagine it might be nice to have the option to
set a temp UCS when entering... but dont think it should be enforced,
Since you may enter Local-View with multiple objects and don't
necessarily want to use a single one for the UCS.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Hadrien Brissaud <hadriscus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not leave solo mode alone, it is quite handy - however what you suggest
> sounds like a recent project "user coordinate system" or something akin to
> it., I can't remember who was working on it but there was a proposal on BA.
>
> On 30 July 2015 at 18:52, Jason van Gumster <fweeb at monsterjavaguns.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Adam Preisler <adam at preisler.me> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Blenderheads,
>> >
>> > Right now Local View seems to only hide all other objects (and center on
>> > selected one) and that functionality already comes with hiding (H, Alt+H
>> > and Shift+H) and then, if need be, pressing the dot on NUMPAD to focus 3D
>> > view on selected.
>> >
>> > The way I think it should be is that if you add a cube in Global View,
>> then
>> > you rotate it around Z axis by 45 degrees and now you press / to go to
>> > Local View, the cube seemingly rotates back, because the global
>> coordinate
>> > system is changed into the local coordinate system of that Cube.
>> >
>> > This can help in a TON of cases when you are editing one larger object
>> and
>> > you want to be able to use camera views and not press X, Y or Z two times
>> > on each occasion and you could even have View Transform Orientation
>> active
>> > which is oftentimes very useful. If more objects are selected, the active
>> > one's local coordinates are used for the Local View.
>>
>> While I understand the desire to reduce key presses, I'm not a huge fan of
>> this
>> idea as it requires me to remember a *different* set of hotkeys based on
>> whether or not I'm in Local View. Muscle memory for the double-tap of X,
>> Y, or
>> Z is already pretty ingrained from working in the rest of Blender. I think
>> it
>> would be frustrating (for me, at least) for things to work differently in
>> just
>> this circumstance.
>>
>>   -Jason

- Campbell