[Bf-funboard] Increase Maximum Undo Steps

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:51:14 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

I'm unsure if this is the right place for the discussion, if not, please
point me in the right direction.

Currently, the user may set the Maximum number of undo steps in the User
Preferences, I assume to prevent clogging up the memory. However there is a
hard limit of 64 steps, which in my experience is often not enough. For
example, when sculpting, texture painting, editing meshes and sometimes
tweaking values of many similar things.

Is there some fundamental reason why 64 is the limit? If a user has, say,
32 GB of memory, why should he be capped at 64 undos?

I know you might be tempted to say "Just don't make mistakes", but the fact
is that artists often like to experiment, try different approaches roughly,
and then revert back to the original or an earlier state to continue on
another path or make a cleaner job of it.

One workaround would be to save often and incrementally, but this doesn't
solve the problem in all cases and assumes the user will remember to save
before doing anything.

Cheers,
Greg