[Bf-funboard] Can the VSE grow up?

David McSween 3pointedit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 06:59:41 CEST 2014

We all know that Blender's VSE (Video editor) is a simple sequencer. That
is, a tool to organize your rendered shots to audio.

Lately however there have been a number of significant addons created, to
enhance it functionality as a more useful device. Features have been added
to bring the VSE into the 20th Century (I don't expect 21st yet).

Features such as

   - Canvas aware preview window (yes really!)
   http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...Transform-tool
   <http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?280731-VSE-Transform-tool>
   - Ripple editing and slide trims
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Ex...uencer_Actions
   <http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Sequencer/Extra_Sequencer_Actions>
   - Send strips to tracker (for stabilizing)
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Ex...uencer_Actions
   <http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Sequencer/Extra_Sequencer_Actions>
   - Edit List items, strip snapping, fades and cross fades, simple
   titling, timeline zooming etc.
   http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...ing-Play-speed
   <http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?338598-Addon-WIP-VSE-Quick-functions-Snaps-Fades-Zoom-Parenting-Titling-Play-speed>
   - 3 point editing of source clip (scrub and choose an edit)
   http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...70#post2201070
   <http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?264676-Sequencer-Addon-Trim-Videos-before-adding-them-to-the-Timeline-(In-and-Outpoints)&p=2201070#post2201070>
   - VSE timeline to Compositor
   http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...tor-Node-proxy
   <http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?338248-VSE-Compositor-Node-proxy>

and finally

   - STRIP PARENTING (at last!) join video to it's audio
   http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...ing-Play-speed
   <http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?338598-Addon-WIP-VSE-Quick-functions-Snaps-Fades-Zoom-Parenting-Titling-Play-speed>

So it's great that the community can get in, develop and value add to the
tool
but
I wonder if this stuff could be built in with a sensible UI? Instead of the
piece meal, messy approach to date. According to this recent Gooseberry
blog entry http://gooseberry.blender.org/may-developer-meetings/ there is a
dev assigned to some VSE tasks.

VSE

   - Antony will check on the video editor, what needs to be done to get
   this back in active development? The director also needs this… and we like
   to get a good “story tool” in Blender as well as online and for the asset
   manager…

It seems that there is much functionality already developed, and the code
seems to support it well. But of course addons break over time. What chance
any of these great scripts can get properly integrated?

Cheers
David

PS thread at BA if interested:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?339658-When-will-the-VSE-grow-up