[Bf-funboard] Properties Editor: object/texture/material managment proposal (keep lists on top to reduce scrolling)

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 17:53:09 CEST 2013

The problem:
-In properties editor -> Material and texture tab, the lists with the materials and  textures are very important to access.

Usual workflow : Choose texture=> scroll down => change influence setting =>scroll back up=>choose a different texture =>scroll back down =>repeat .

Even with all panels closed (with CTRL+click) =>too much scrolling with limited space.

proposals:

1) http://postimg.org/image/wy7b5cfjb/

The simplest solution
(This can/should also be done for material tab)

This is not necessarily the best, as it monopolizes needed space.

Therefore I would personally go further and I propose this=>

2) http://postimg.org/image/oo7eys57d/

- the breadcrumbs row on top=> clickable buttons =>click them and change the selected texture.

What's more: access and select different materials from the selected object WITHOUT switching to material tab

=huge timesaver

and lastly if you extrapolate this thinking to objects as wel you get this:

3) http://postimg.org/image/a1u2dkvnl/

select objects without leaving the properties editor.
Accessing the 3D view or outliner for selections: no longer mandatory
=saves time and space

The clickable object dropdown button could also be handy in the other tabs (object,constraint,modifier,...

This could even be done for Scene,World and mesh.

To me this is an elegant solution to a managment problem that currently exists in Blender