[Bf-funboard] Physical Memory and Cycles

Ryan Duncan lun3rcry at gmail.com
Wed May 8 17:31:18 CEST 2013

My computer has an i7 Q720 chip at 1.60GHZ and is a notebook made
especially for gaming and CPU intensive processes, so how can cycles still
be so slow when rendering glass, I had a far inferior Acer in 2008 which
could render faster using the old 3DSmax6 with MentalRay.  Cycles is
supposed to be fast.

Regards

Ryan

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> More memory does not make a computer render fastering, it's the CPU
> speed that matters most. It can only prevent a severe slowdown when
> you are rendering a big scene that would not fit in less memory.
>
> We currently do not support GPU rendering on AMD cards due to
> technical issues in their driver that we can't solve.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Render/Cycles/OpenCL
>
> Brecht.
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Ryan Duncan <lun3rcry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A method to speed up cycles rendering using the physical memory on your
> pc
> > would be very desirable.  I have an Asus G73 JH A1 with 20+ gigs of
> > available physical memory and a Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Grphics Card
> with 1
> > gig of memory.  Cycles renders too slowly however for a pc of this
> caliber.
> > Is there no way to implement RAM ito the rendering process?  Or at least
> > support Radeon GPU cards in rendering?
> >

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Ryan

They say the extractor can be.. a little disconcerting to the thought
process..I'd uh.. offer you a couple of Aspirin but snigger, I'm not
authorised to prescribe medication hah hah hah! Think good thoughts!