[Bf-funboard] Blender-upgrader

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 19:27:35 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Jude Jackson <syzygy6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Despite the wise words of our more experienced programmers insisting this
> is impractical and unnecessary, I'll at least say that I think Prashant's
> suggestion seems pretty reasonable to me. My only addition would be that I
> sure as heck don't want some well-meaning programmer to put big red text on
> the splash screen saying *YOUR VERSION OF BLENDER IS OUT OF DATE! CLICK
> HERE TO UPGRADE!*

Yep, I can see this working, I just don't think its all that useful.
We'd still have a little overhead of having to maintain some kind of
mechanism so blender knows when its out of date (someone has to
remember to change some file every release and check it works).
And while this probably can work OK, we would get complaints from
people using renderfarms or automated blender instances.... so we add
a way to disable... then we have more options for user to think about.

So far blender _never_ checks online without the user asking it to,
unless theres some great feature that requires this, I much prefer to
keep it that way.