[Bf-funboard] Toggling proportional edit during transform

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 22:36:00 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Harley Acheson <harley.acheson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Couldn't we put everything to do with proportional editing on
> *one* simple menu?
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55533

Let's remember that the datamodel is a bit different than the UI. Having
the datamodel I proposed above is simply the most flexible (orthogonal) set
of states. Combining them together in the datamodel limits what the UI can
do, but keeping them nice and clean and separate does *NOT* limit what we
can do in the UI.

Speaking only about the mockup above...

1) "off" is represented as a falloff type, which suggests we have to choose
a new falloff type every-time we enable, rather than get the easy "on/off"
toggle we want which retains the current config for falloff and influence.

2) It's not a big win to convert 2 menus into 1 if we still have to open
the menu twice to make two selections. Yet allowing two selections with the
menu open would break expectations for menu behavior. There might be room
here for some other type of selection control, like a transient config menu
panel, rather than a menu... because then it could have the expectation
that it would stay up through any amount of interaction -- until the user
moused away from it.