[Bf-funboard] Unlock "view offset lock" for Lock to Cursor

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 09:11:43 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I understand why this is here,but I feel the lock to cursor could be more useful if you don't prohibit the moving of the 3D view.
>
> In effect this would have the same idea as "rotate around selection' option but with the benefit that it can be used in objects that have distant placed origins (= rotating in those cases usually  can be a pain.)
>
> but with a "lock to cursor" only limited to rotation and not moving I feel you could move around much more fluently.
>
> it could be an option,it could be an extra button or depending on how useful this is to devs and users could replace the current implementation entirely.

View operations like pan and dolly could be kept working but the view
would stay locked to the object so that when you move the object the
view would always follow,
This way you could lock to an object but not have it in the center of
the view. (internally we would store a lock offset vector).

This adds some complexity to view operators, but think it could be
made to work ok.

The main issue I see is that users may accidentally pan and then want
to reset the offset.... and at this point IMHO making this
functionality option gets kludgy - we already have too many options
here.
At that point I think we may be better not attempting to solve this
problem and just accept lock always adds to the screen center.

---

Or - there could be a lock offset in screen-space, so you could have
XY values internally and view-pan would modify them, but you would
only be adjusting 2d lock location on the screen and only the pan
operator would adjust it (just how pan currently works differently
when in camera view).

This had the advantage that its easier to support.