[Bf-funboard] Unlock "view offset lock" for Lock to Cursor

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 20:59:59 CEST 2013

@ Campbell -

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ....I feel the lock to cursor could be more useful if you don't prohibit
the
> moving of the 3D view.

I like this idea. Is there some harm in allowing the view to pan while
locked to cursor? (i.e. move the locked-cursor when the view pans) Are
there users here who use lock-to-cursor to help entirely prevent them from
panning the view?

I've been considering a related experiment I call "cursor follows view
center", which snaps/sticks the cursor to the view origin anytime the view
moves (via pan/snap, maybe even via rotate) -- while still allowing
free-placement of the cursor without moving the view. The idea is to help
the cursor automatically return to a predictable place for common
operations like object-add, while still allowing explicit use of the cursor
when it's desired.

Campbell Barton wrote:
> View operations like pan and dolly could be kept working but the view
> would stay locked to the object so that when you move the object the
> view would always follow,
... snip..
> The main issue I see is that users may accidentally pan and then want
> to reset the offset.... and at this point IMHO making this functionality
>  option gets kludgy

You can already get behavior like this, where the view tracks an object
center with an offset, by just creating an empty-child of the object and
locking the view to that empty.

What you can't get today, is the ability to pan the view as an alternate
way to move something the view is locked to (cursor or object). It doesn't
seem as important for lock-to-object as you can grab the object and
translate it. However, you can't grab the cursor and translate it, so
allowing the view to pan while locked to cursor seems like a nice option.