[Bf-funboard] Booleans in searches (outliner, action editor, curve editor etc...)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:11:34 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Bol Bib <bollebib at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to use Boolean functions in searches inside of blender?
>

> For example in action editor:
>
> If I want to show Strings that have .L "or" .R in them.
> Or If I want to show strings with  BONE and ARM in them , so that a string Bone_ARM.L will show but Bone_LEG won't
> Or If I want to show anything BUT .L or .R....
>

> Or any combination there of.
> I'm sure you are familiar with this kind of searching. You can do it in google as well as lots of other places.  (and/or/not ) ("   "  , - , + )  etc...
>

> Is this already present? (can't find it)
> And if it isn't yet,shouldn't it be?

Blender doesn't come with regex functionality (of course it could be
added or we could use pythons, but calling it from C is a bit ugly),
but we do have fnmatch which gives shell style globbing.

So, not allowing 'a OR b' but could still be handy for "Bone_*.[LR]"
style globbing - eg  http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/fnmatch.html
Outliner filter uses this and action editor probably should too.

We could always have something like regex but this would need to be
enabled/disabled per search field since it doesnt coexist with regular
text searches as fnmatch does.