[Bf-funboard] clean up cluttered shelves,please?

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 11:19:36 CEST 2012

@Campbell

prefer not to make this something the user has to configure and manage
> since IMHO this is overhead when using the application.

what do you mean it's overhead I don't understand?

well I'd already be quite happy with categories that blender provides

keep it logical and with stuff you normally wouldn't see/need together
Addons can even get it's own category? Or maybe a place scripted by their makers?

But I do think you should not stop with the blender provided categories.
 Some people think differently,they might think: "oh no I want this together with that particular add on or panel ,because I use those together all the time",maybe even only for the task at hand.
I think this is no different then managing your windows,and naming them. Which Blender does already and it's the most awesome feature because of it.

Provide default categories,by any means. But provide also a way (maybe a bit hidden?) to let people customize their shelves.
 In essence you can already have different custom shelves,you just don't have power over them.

Here is another mockup for something slightly different but also a means to have slightly less cluttered shelves

A lot of people want custom toolbars but mostly they want something that saves space.
I thought about it and made this, mostly based on existing UI choices and paradigms again.

http://postimage.org/image/ep3duft57/
http://postimage.org/image/qmf2yxwi9/   (no vertical text,that was a bad choice.)

The idea is when you minimize the shelves to the point they become an unreadable mess-> why don't the panels themselves become buttons to click on and see the panel briefly till you click away.
This effectively transforms the shelves in a toolbar without much work.
The buttons are the size of the panel,ofcourse,so it doesn't change behaviour too much. Bigger Panels=Bigger buttons.
But if a panel is minimized->an Icon and tooltip should do the trick.

For experiments' sake I also put in a horizonal shelve. People have been asking for that as well. This seems to me one of the few ways a horizontal shelf could work.

this could very well be combined with my previous idea to save and call saved states of the shelves.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?255753-GSoC-User-Interface-Tasklist&p=2166596&viewfull=1#post2166596

Here is some discussion about it with other users if you want more/other ideas and insight.

Just providing ideas. I just want Blender to improve.