[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 15:00:26 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 08:58, Doug Ollivier <doug at mudpuddle.co.nz> wrote:
> there are
> a few blender features that are not in line with transferable knowledge
> from other applications, for no real advantage to Blender (lets keep the
> features that really do advantage Blender just as they are).
[...]
> Every feature that we don't need to excuse is a feature we likely have
> correct.

Agreed.By the way, nobody seems to be mentioning the fact that the
default blender file is also now very outdated in terms of workflow.
Many new important windows are never shown, such as the node editor.
It would be very important also to have the new outliner available by
default in the first screen.

In the past I proposed to have a new window type, a "tutorial window",
that would welcome new users explaining some basic facts about
Blender: in particular how screens and windows work, as it is pretty
non-intuitive and not easy discoverable just by playing around. Such
window would be of course disabled by all experienced users, who would
in fact probably never even see it, as they would already have their
overriding default file.

Unfortunately, last time I mentioned my idea at a meeting, it was met
with a lot of skepticism by the core developers.

Davide / UncleZeiv

ps - Another important default would be to have render to full screen
or to image editor, as it is now much more capable than the external
window.