[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Sat Oct 18 08:58:14 CEST 2008

IL'dar AKHmetgaleev wrote:
> На Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:12:09 -0500
> "Early Ehlinger" <earlye at gmail.com> записано:
>

>> Making the "standard" UI more in line with the UI's of other
>> applications will not hurt existing users, and will definitely ease
>> the transition for new users.
>>

> There is no any another 3d package with 3d cursor and gestures. So we
> should remove them to match other applications workflow?

Putting words into others mouths does not help the discussion.

Nobody is implying that Blender needs to "Copy other applications, or
lose its Blenderness".

Blender has a number of very unique and efficient differentiators, these
need to be identified and kept in order for blender to keep its
individuality.  But as with the Undo debate of many years ago, there are
a few blender features that are not in line with transferable knowledge
from other applications, for no real advantage to Blender (lets keep the
features that really do advantage Blender just as they are).

I wrote a book on Blender recently, the way i identified the features
that were not efficient was by counting the lines/number of pages i
needed to write in order to "Explain or Excuse" why Blender worked one
way rather than the "expected way".  There were two pages dedicated to
explaining using the mouse.  There was a page dedicated to explaining
why objects are aligned to the view and not the axis (Now changed, and
removed from the book), as well as a page dedicated to explaining how to
change to UV edit mode (now changed and removed from the book)

Every feature that we don't need to excuse is a feature we likely have
correct.

The two most prominent features are.
*Save dialogue on quit ( wrote 2 pages on changing auto save settings,
and finding the previously saved files).
*Left mouse selection (which should be default, although i would still
use the right mouse button as that is what i have learnt)

Features should excite, not frustrate.

--
Doug Ollivier

C: