[Bf-funboard] Importing content

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Mar 30 08:34:02 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com> wrote:
> Alexander Ewering wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Campbell Barton wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> What do people think of centering & resizing the 3D view onto imported
> >> content? - (Numpad Del key)

I personally wouldn't like this, I'd probably find it more
disorienting if my view was changed around me. I don't think that sort
of thing should be changed without the user asking for it. A viewpoint
can be important 'data', it may take a while to get just the right
angle that you want to be looking in, and having an importer go and
change that from under you could be frustrating.

If things are done consistently, and users gain an expectation that
newly imported things will always be selected, then they will know
that even if they can't see their newly imported object at the time,
it is still selected, and they can press del themselves.

> > Probably something similar to the "Active Layer, At Cursor, Autosel"
> > controls in the SHIFT-F1 menu would be nice - or the functionality at least

Having those options consistent with the normal append would be great
(though Cam, that project for settings in the file selector didn't
work out so well that time before :). I wouldn't like it to be added
at cursor by default though, I'm doing a fair bit of importing and
exporting whole scenes, or at least multiple objects at once, and
would want it all to appear consistently in their correct locations as
I send things in and out, not defined by where I have the cursor.

cheers

Matt