[Bf-funboard] keys and markers- simple proposal

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Mar 10 00:46:51 CET 2007

On 3/10/07, Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:

> In 2.43, markers are available in the action, IPO and NLA window. This
> is good.
>
>         However, upon (for instance) hitting the delete key, we now have a
> new
> pop-up choice: delete keys or markers.

I can agree with this, it's been a bit annoying. I'd rather have separate
hotkeys for delete, and no popup at all! For the sort of thing I've been
doing lately (not complex character animation) I haven't been using markers
in the Ipo/action editors at all, and although the fact that the capability
is there is great, I wish I could just ignore them and not be presented with
that popup all the time.

At the very least, it should only show the popup when there are actually
markers there to be deleted, instead of all the time as it is now!

Why not treat markers and keys as "entities" in these windows? then
> selecting a key de-selects a marker, etc. (unless you hit shift) and G,
> shift-D and X etc will just work on the selection. this adds the bonus
> of being able to move keys and markers together if they are associated.

I'll refrain from commenting too much on the other points since I don't do
enough character animation to be well informed on the markers vs keys
workflow there, but what you suggest as treating them the same does seem to
make sense. Especially if you're using a marker to mark a point in time in
which something happens, the keys surrounding it will be relative that that
marker. So it would seem useful to be able to move and manipulate them all
together.

cheers

Matt