[Bf-funboard] AO improvements and Nodes

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at gmx.net
Fri Jan 12 18:11:02 CET 2007

Am Freitag, 12. Januar 2007 17:40 schrieb Alex Fraser:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 16:10 +0100, Carsten Wartmann wrote:
> > So I tought: "Blur the AO pass and multiply it over the Diffuse/Spec
> > Pass"
>
> Good idea :)
>
> Have you tested this with an animation? Even subtle noise can look bad
> animated - it sort of boils. Maybe AO noise in Blender is stable?

Yes, the sampling in blender is quite regular, so that is relatively
time-coherent. The problem with noise reduction techniques is, that they
usually are not time-coherent. This usually looks like large flickering blobs
in the animation. Which is not very suprising, since all noise removal
filters are essentially low-pass filters, which keep low-frequency image
information (i.e. large, uniform image areas).

But if you want to go into the area of noise reduction, bilateral filtering is
also a nice way, because it is quite simple and does not destroy edges in the
image. But one has to implement it carefully, because it is not very
efficient, otherwise.

Arne

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899