[Bf-funboard] UI translation issues

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Apr 12 04:07:14 CEST 2007

On 4/12/07, Ted Schundler <tschundler at gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that Blender's translations are handled
> in its text rendering code - just before text is displayed. That's why
> there's no authoritative .pot

-snip-

> The current approach is a quick hack that works close enough for
> most stuff without having to touch most of the code.

Right, this much I know about. I also think I know how to solve at
least some of the problems too, to bring the translation process
further up the process, to where the buttons' labels are generated in
the interface code (creating uiBut->drawstr).

My idea of what probably would work is adding something like a
'wchar_t translated_drawstr' to the uiBut struct and doing the
translation process there, at the same time as the ascii english
drawstr is created from the original text. Then later in the drawing
process, depending on whether translation is on, you either draw the
ascii string or the unicode string that's already been created. A bit
of surgery, but shouldn't be too difficult. Again though, the issue is
having someone with time and inclination to do the coding.

On 4/12/07, Chris Burt <desoto at exenex.com> wrote:
> I was under the impression that full tool-tip translations were the
> only way that people wanted to go. After all, nice to have the button
> say the same thing for every user.

I don't think so, as I remember it was a proposal to make life easier
by ignoring the problems that are in the current translation system's
implementation, rather than fixing them. If I didn't speak English I'd
very much prefer to have the buttons displaying something that meant
something to me than complete gibberish.

cheers,

Matt