[Bf-funboard] Merge Tool

frédéric van der essen fred at mentalwarp.com
Sun Feb 20 22:13:38 CET 2005

alex wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, joeedh wrote:
>
>> Hi, the merge tool right now is sortof annoying and bad
>> workflow-wise.  Right now you have to:
>

>> - press W
>> - select Merge (or press the number corrusponding to it)
>

> - Or press ALT-M ...

on an azerty keyboard, alt-M requires both hands to be performed, it is
not the most practical hotkey....
w is right next to A and Tab, the most used hotkeys, faster and easier,
but it is a pain to navigate trough all these popups.

>> - click after the tool displays "Removed X Verts," or press 1.
>

> - Or just go on with your work and let the dialog disappear by itself.

I agree with joeedh on this point. This kind of dialog bothers me and
i'm sure i'm not the only one... the only use i can see to this dialog
is to inform the user
if he made a mistake, like merging too much vertex. But when this dialog
is shown, it is already too late... And merging too much verts isn't
something hard to notice,there are
random edges and strange geometry filling the 3Dviewport, You know you
did something wrong long before reading that you merged 234 verts...
3D modelling is quite a repetitive task, and I often need to merge two
vertex ten times in a row. In these case the popups are making me crazy.
Then i click without thinking until
i click too much and reset the 3D cursor that i had carefully placed... :(

this information can be useful, but i think it should be placed in a
less disturbing place, like in the bottom left of the window and it
should disappear after some times.

I think that generally speaking the number of clicks required to perform
operations in blender is too high. blender could be even faster if
popups like these were moved in less disturbing places.