[Bf-funboard] Sky Generator

Alexander Ewering alex at schnittenparadies.de
Mon Nov 8 16:16:29 CET 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Chris Burt wrote:

> DetectiveThorn,
>
> First of all let me be the first to ask when you're "coming back" to the
> Blender development process. I see you posting to the mailing lists and I
> have to say that I don't think I'm the only one that misses your help.
>
> Secondly, this idea is wonderful and I think that JesterKing has already
> begun work with an SQL system that would work perfectly with it even
> _remotely_. This would mean that your library of materials could be
> accessible via a remote server, and you could actually save your information
> directly the net. (not to mention the possibilities of using Verse for data
> being access by multiple users on multiple clients) Since many web hosts do
> daily data backups, this could be the perfect way to store and retrieve
> frequently reused elements of blend files without working about backing them
> up to DVD. My mind is dizzy with ideas now and I hope you attend a Sunday
> meeting soon to bring some more of this into light. I'm already very excited
> just thinking about it.

Hrmhrmhrm... well, I basically agree about the niceness of being able to
append datablocks to external .blend files... however, that SQL stuff is a bit
beyond my understanding.

In a professional setup, your data is stored on a remote server anyway (via NFS),
namely your company's (or home's :) fileserver, and this server does regular
backups to a suitable backup system automatically
without any user interaction.