[Bf-funboard] UV mapped normal map creation in blender

Luke Wenke iljwamh1234567890 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 12:57:32 CET 2004

It looks like normal maps that are good for general tiles can be created in
blender (which unfortunately uses a fairly complicated manual method).... it
would be good if you could also create normal maps that could be used in UV
mapping, like in the picture in this link:
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html

The normal map there would involve a uv-mapped low res version being
compared to its high-res version. I think using the same method, that monkey
tile could also be created.... basically the low-res version would just be a
flat square. When it does the difference calculations the resultant normal
map would be the same as what you can currently make in blender, and I think
the user would be able to do it faster too... (and it would be less
confusing) Also, when they go from tiles to uv-mapped normal maps they
wouldn't have to relearn much.